The inaugural Coalition of Pre-Health Students’ Pitt Pre-Health Summit is an inter-professional multi-university conference for all pre-health students. The purpose of this event is to bring speakers and students from various backgrounds, universities, and perspectives together to discuss issues impact the overall healthcare system of our country, and learn useful skills to aid these students on their path to becoming the next generation of healthcare providers. The conference will consist of keynote addresses, breakout sessions, and a professional fair, and will encompass the topic of diversity as it relates to the healthcare field. A brief overview of the activities during the event are below.
James Withers, MD
2015 CNN Top 10 Hero
Founder, Operation Safety Net
Founder, International Street Medicine Institute
In 1992, Dr. Jim Withers, an internal medicine physician, began providing medical care to Pittsburgh’s unsheltered homeless population. He partnered with street-savvy formerly homeless individuals and, initially dressing as a homeless person, began to make nighttime street rounds in the alleys and under the bridges of the city. From this initial outreach service other clinical volunteers joined in and Operation Safety Net was born. Today, Operation Safety Net is recognized as one of nation’s first, targeted, full-time street medicine programs. It continues to set the standard for this unique form of health care.
Part of the Summit consisted of interactive breakout sessions meant to facilitate discussions and address topics relevant to all pre-health students.
- Diversity in Healthcare: The importance of cultural competency (Hosted by Pitt AMSA)
- Army Healthcare Suturing Clinic
- The Netsch-Lopez Health Inequality Simulation
- Dental School Tour and Q&A
- Disease Modeling
- Putting Imaging in Your Hands: 3D Printing in Radiology (Hosted by Pitt PhiDE)
- STOP THE BLEED (Hosted by Pitt SEMS)
- Healthcare in Nontraditional/ Low Resource Settings
- PA Panel "Secrets of being a PA student-- how to get clinical hours"
- Med School Tour & Q/A and IV clinic
- Introducing CWRU School of Medicine and the Application Process
- Past, present and future of the Affordable Care Act
- Women in Healthcare (Hosted by Pitt Rho Psi Eta)
The 2017 Summit included a fair during which students networked with admissions staff from different professional schools, learned about gap year opportunities, and got information for other pre-health resources.
- Case Western School of Medicine
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
- WVU School of Medicine
- Pitt Dental School
- Pitt School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Pitt Graduate School of Public Health
University of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Drexel School of Medicine
- Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
- Chatham University, PA Program
- John G. Rangos, Sr. School of Health Sciences, Duquesne University
Kaplan Test Prep
The Princeton Review
- U.S. Army
Partners For Quality, Inc
Post-Summit Event: Phi Delta Epsilon Anatomy Fashion Show
Phi Delta Epsilon's first annual Anatomy Fashion Show to benefit the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. 32 Student models from organizations all over campus will displayed handpainted anatomical systems as they strut down a cat walk and took part in minute to win it games. The event took place April 2nd followng the CPHS Summit in the William Pitt Union Assembly room.